<<

MrBezzaJnR

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:53 am

MrBezzaJnRs Gaming Rig

Cost: Unknown over the last 5 years :3

Case: Coolermaster CM Storm Sniper AMD Dragon Special Edition
PSU: Corsair HX 650 Watt
Mobo: GA 870A UD3
CPU/Cooler: Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition + Coolermaster Hyper 212+ Cpu cooler in push pull configuration (blood stained fins)
RAM: Corsair CMP4GX3M2B1600C8 4GB DDR3
GPU: Sapphire Radeon 6950 2GB Dirt 3 Edition
HDD/s:
OS; Western Digital Green 1TB HDD
Storage; Samsung 1TB SpinPoint F1 SATA II HD103UJ
Screen: Asus VE247H 23.6 LED LCD
Generic Keyboard and Wired Mouse and a Cheap Headset
<<

Zenith

Administrator

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: MrBezzaJnRs Gaming Rig

Very solid rig, but you gotta do something about those headphones! I didn't realise how much of a difference good sound makes to the overall experience until I bit the bullet and got decent headphones. It's too easy to become accustomed to cheap sound and not realise how much you're missing out on. Gets even better when you couple that with a sound card (even my budget $40 Asus Xonar DG sound card is a huge improvement over onboard audio).
<<

MrBezzaJnR

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Zenith wrote:Very solid rig, but you gotta do something about those headphones! I didn't realise how much of a difference good sound makes to the overall experience until I bit the bullet and got decent headphones. It's too easy to become accustomed to cheap sound and not realise how much you're missing out on. Gets even better when you couple that with a sound card (even my budget $40 Asus Xonar DG sound card is a huge improvement over onboard audio).

I am planning on an upgrade to mouse > soundcard > headphones in the next 6 months...... is all dependant on some spare cash. :D

Is there any worth in getting something like a X-FI Titanium? or as you said, is a Xonar DG fine? XD
I'm open to suggestions for headset and soundcard, but got my heart set on a Razer Mamba 4G. :D
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=258_697_699&products_id=17967
<<

Zenith

Administrator

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:47 pm

I guess you'll first need to decide how much of an audiophile you intend to be. Do you go for the cheaper sound card and grab a decent gaming headset for under $150, or do you buy a good sound card and proper headphones (anything with a mic attached is probably not going to serve you well if you're looking for premium sound quality). Bear in mind the latter decision could quickly land you in the $350 + zone depending on how much you're prepared to blow. :P

If you spend a lot of time using your computer to listen to music or to watch movies, then investing in a really good audio setup will be more rewarding. If it's purely a gaming platform, you'll probably find a decent gaming headset around $100 or less with a cheap sound card like my Asus Xonar DG will do fine.

I can't say I've had much direct experience with sound cards apart from my own. I purchased the Xonar DG because A) I didn't wanna spend much, and B) I read a heap of good reviews about it, all of which noted how much of an improvement it is over onboard motherboard audio. I've gotta say, I'm not the least bit disappointed with my soundcard. I could have spent $100 on it and I'd still be happy.

If you're looking at the same Xfi Titanium I am (this one: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD), then you should probably compare reviews about it with reviews on the Asus Xonar Essence ST - a card about which I read many excellent reviews but wasn't prepared to cough up the cash for.

This brings us to headphones. If you're looking at a soundcard in the $200 range, then buying cheap headphones will be a waste because you're not going to get the full benefit of the sound card. And vice versa, if you buy really good headphones but you're using onboard sound- then you're missing out.

When I first started looking for new headphones, people everywhere were recommending these:Audio-Technica ATH-AD700. I'm sure they're an excellent choice (like I said, hordes of people seem to swear by them), but I ended up going with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S headphones because of the closed-back design, and reportedly punchier bass. Apart from being a little tight around the head at first, I've found the M50S headphones brilliant.

Going for these kinds of headphones will mean you'll be needing a separate microphone. I got the Zalman ZM-MIC 1, and so far I've found it fine, if not a little too sensitive (although you guys listening to me on TeamSpeak would know much better about how it actually sounds than I would).

If you're looking more at a gaming headset, my picks would be: SteelSeries Siberia V2 Full Size Headset & the Roccat Kave Real 5.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset. Although I don't have any direct experience with either of these, reviews seem consistently good.

If you're really unsure about it all and you just want to upgrade your current audio situation for gaming, I'd probably go for the Roccat Kave gaming headset and Asus Xonar DG soundcard. You'll be shelling out approx $120.00 for what should be a solid improvement over whatever you're using now. It's also a lot less risky than spending $300 - $400 on a really good set up, deciding the improved sound isn't worth the price tag, and then wishing you'd gone for the cheaper option and spent the rest on the Razer mouse, or games, etc.

Hope this helps the decision making process somewhat. Like I always say whenever I make long-winded posts about hardware like this, when you think you've found something you want, read as many reviews as you can find (the good AND the bad), and weigh it up against competing products. It will go a long way to preventing a disappointing purchase.
<<

toothpaste

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:21 pm

http://www.psykoaudio.com/#axzz206jhZcif
These are like new technology apparently and are really good, the only downside is they are a little heavy on your head to start off but that goes away after a while
<<

flamesplom

Administrator

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:26 pm

Is it bad that whenever I see that brand name, a certain player getting banned for using a certain COD4 hack comes to mind? :lol:

That does look like a pretty damn good headset though, especially considering its price. Should have spent the extra $20 and picked one of those up for myself. :P

Return to Your Gaming Rig